Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It only took 16 days, day 16

I knew this day would come.  The day when I would be hard pressed to find anything joyful to write about.  Everyone has these days - the ones where the plans you envision for the day never quite materialize and you end up 180 degrees from where you intended to be.  My kids were out of school for the day, and we had talks of going to the dog park, eating at our favorite yogurt place, maybe catching an afternoon movie.  Instead, we got in the car to the sound of alarm bells letting me know there were problems in the engine.  We were on the way to my husband's office, so we changed course to meet him at a service department close to his office.  Which was how I ended up entertaining 3 kids for 3 hours in a tiny unused room at my husband's office.  Thank goodness I had grabbed the iPad before I left home.  They watched movies and played office, but things weren't exactly fun after a while.  Although the car issue was minor, any repairs on a vehicle start adding up fast.  And then we were told of future repairs that need to be made in the next month or so.  Cha-ching.  Cha-ching.  Then tonight, we got some news that will probably put a home project on hold for a while.  Adding to the mix were some discipline issues at home tonight and a cranky mom and dad.  I'm sure there was joy in my day somewhere, but it was hard to see anything past my little black rain cloud.

Of course, I am still thankful.  Thankful we have the funds to pay for my car and even discuss home projects.  Thankful my engine did not catch on fire or leave us stranded.  Thankful even to spend the day with my kids even when the circumstances were less than ideal.  But that's the thing about joy.  It can't be circumstantial.  That is what happiness is for.  You are happy when circumstances go your way, and unhappy when circumstances are difficult.  Joy is not based on circumstances or feelings, but more an essence of who you are.  I was not joyful today at all.  And I missed an opportunity.  An opportunity to be a light unto others.  An opportunity to share joy with my children in all circumstances.  An opportunity to pray more and grumble less.  Thank goodness for Lamentations 3:22-23.


22The faithful love of the LORD never ends!b
His mercies never cease.
23Great is his faithfulness;
his mercies begin afresh each morning.


Tomorrow is a new day.
 

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, some days are tough, but your post brought joy to my heart. Reminding me that God's faithful love never ends no matter what, is a much needed joy to my heart today. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete