Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mardi Gras Mambo, Day 53

Being originally from the awesome city of New Orleans, Mardi Gras is a celebration that is near and dear to my heart.  I grew up having a week off school for Mardi Gras, not spring break.  We had king cake Fridays in my class from January through Mardi Gras.  If you got the piece with the baby, your mom had to bring the class king cake for the next Friday.  I grew up going to all of the fun family parades (yes, there is such a thing as family friendly Mardi Gras) and even had the opportunity to be in a parade one year.  We were on a Sesame Street float with my cousin and uncle.  My cousin and I were Bert and Ernie and we were in charge of throwing the beads and goodies to everyone.  Fun times.

My girls have been to Mardi Gras once, but they were much younger and I am not sure they remember much of it.  I would love to take them again.  Every February my mom and my aunt work together to send us a little treat from New Orleans - a Randazzo king cake!  It's the real deal - no Walmart imitation - and people wait in lines at the bakery just to buy one.  My kids love fighting over the piece with the baby and the whole thing is usually gone in a day!


1 comment:

  1. Come next year for a long weekend! Friday to Monday...it will be fun!

    ReplyDelete